I’ll be doing an update daily until the game is released.
I’ll be honest – ODE really messed me up. It wasn’t just the wasted time; I also seemed to lose all my momentum on the project when I couldn’t get ODE working right. And then I started having problems with the terrain that I couldn’t seem to get completely right, etc…
But the good thing about working on a project like this is that there’s so many different things to do, if you get stuck on something you can just switch to something else. So last night I started working on the GUI.
GUI programming is technical and tedious but not really hard, so it’s a perfect change of pace. I’ve already got all the screens planned out and I almost have all the GUI elements added to my framework.
My framework supports four functional GUI elements:
Buttons – Working
Scrollbars – Not working yet
Radio Buttons – Working
Editable Textboxes – Not working yet
In addition, it supports three non-functional (decorative) elements:
Panels (drawn boxes, either empty or filled)
Static Text Labels
All of these are working.
The great thing about this is that it’ll make the product look a lot more professional and complete…even though it isn’t 🙂
I am hoping to get the final two GUI elements implemented and all the GUI screens set up tonight, so that this weekend I can get back to the main gameplay programming.