Video games can have some…unusual protagonists. All media have their weird main characters, but video gaming can seem to get weirder than most.
Below are ten video game protagonists (which are directly controlled by the player) that are not ageless-faceless-gender-neutral-culturally-ambiguous-adventure-persons or physically idealized men or women. Can you name them and the games they came from? CAN YOU?!
1. A selfish young man who has been turned into a cockroach.
2. A tiny young prince.
3. A green anthropomorphized rabbit with a big gun.
4. A cute, humanoid…um thing that apparently uses telekinesis to move his hands and feet, since he has no arms and legs.
5. A wisecracking gecko.
6. A hapless Japanese office worker with a combover who just wants to get home in time for his mother’s birthday.
7. An innocent-looking cherub.
8. A black blob of…something sticky and dense, with yellow eyes.
9. An adorable, naive robot.
10. A little white guy wearing a…red hat with a yellow tassel.