Day: June 28, 2006


I just realized…nobody asked me what the music was that I used in my combat prototype, nor said anything about it positively or negatively.

Summation of Feedback

First, I’d like to thank everybody who sent feedback! I got some great stuff.

The overall response was pretty positive. I am encouraged, and will continue to develop the prototype. I will also be making the following changes:

1. I’ll be adding A* to all units so they can pathfind better.

2. I’ll be beefing up the resolution to 800×600. I’ve needed to do this for a while, but I liked 512×384 because of the nostalgia factor (which I’ve already discussed) and because screenshots in that resolution fit on my webpage really well. But it’s time to get unstupid about this and give myself some more screen real estate to work with.

3. I will be adding the ability to change a unit’s orders on the fly. I will probably implement this by allowing the player to press the spacebar to pause the game, after which clicking on one of your units will dump their orders and allow you to give new orders.

4. I will add a radial menu or a movable command card to make it so that you don’t have to continually click on one side of the screen, then the other.

I may also add some features like casting simple spells (probably the same ones from Inaria). I don’t want to turn this into its own game, but I do want to get it to the point where people think it’s really fun before I consider the system “done”.